Three psychiatrists have written a letter to President Obama requesting that Donald Trump be evaluated by an impartial group of doctors. Based on what we all have seen, his explosivity, his “thin skin”, his need to attack based on perceived slights, his need to be admired, his constant need to be in the limelight are indications that it is likely that he suffers from a narcissistic personality disorder.
For a person with that type of mental illness to be in charge of the most powerful country in the world—and for that person to have access to the nuclear codes—is not only dangerous but terrifying.
Here. from the American Psychiatric Association, is a list of symptoms of the disorder:
1. Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
2. Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love.
3. Believe that he or she is “special” and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with other special or high-status people (or institutions)
4. Requires excessive admiration
5. Has a sense of entitlement
6. Is interpersonally exploitative
7. Lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
8. Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her.
9. Shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes.”
Does this describe anyone you know? -Jan Harrison